Sunday, March 22, 2009

all done

I can't believe pre-internship is all done. It seems like it flew by, yet some of the days seemed like they would never end. Over the past week I finished off my unit and completed my evaluation of the students... I can't believe how difficult it is to distinguish between what is good and what is excellent.

I tried out activity centers and they were unbelievably successful and the students were very engaged. I set students up to succeed by setting out clear guidelines and directions and encouraged the behaviours that I was expecting. I have to say that I will definately be using learning centers in my future classroom.

My last day of school... I did not want to leave. All the kids were hugging me and saying that they will miss me. Karmen and I taught the whole day from morning to end. We did our evaluation and learning centers before lunch. After lunch we made fruit pizza and went to the gym. I loved the gym the best. I decided to play Dead Pirates, where they lay on the ground and try not to laugh or crack a smile. It was hilarious, I had one boy try and make the other person laugh by giving himself a wedgie... so funny.

I had such a positive experience and will take much of my experience with me into my internship and my teaching career.

I am however not looking forward to going back to classes and doing assignments that are not relevant to teaching in the field. When am I ever going to have 2 50 min. sessions with one child to read a book or have 5 people read one story to a class. I just don't understand why we are doing some of the assignments... it seems like busy work to me. There are many of us that would love to boycott them, but at the same time we would like to pass. I guess we are stuck doing them and will have to put in enough effort to get by.

No comments: